Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Called to be what (Written May 5, 2007)

I dont know what has gotten into me and writing a note every month on this facebook....Maybe it is that during my sometimes up to 13-14 hour days of pruning Hibiscus ...tell people whether Geraniums are better flowers for full sun than the Impatience and Dahlias ...or the carrying around of Maple trees... I have time ..time to think...and my mind at present state...request answers...not soft soap and flowery comments...
Or maybe it is that i just sincerely miss the fact that I no longer have the great blessing of the daily company of so many of you...I no longer can go for advise at any convenience ...no longer can listen to your knowledge and willingness to share experiences at every single moment of the day and for some the nights as well...

Either way I am struggling with this question...and I am failing in coming to a clear answer....forgive my vocab...(but just because words are used a lot do not make them less true)...Most of us feel that we are destined to become someone...do to a certain thing...to have a calling...many off us struggle with the fact what exactly our calling is...are we supposed to study this or that...are we supposed to go here or there...others have a more clear picture...and feel truly at home with the choice we have come to...

And whether we call it Calling, Vocation, Personal Legend (Paulo Coelho)...believers and many non believers alike feel like a certain thing is meant for them...a certain occupation fits them...and so in the terms of the Christian heritage...we are called to be....

But that is where my struggle comes to the forefront...I am not disputing that God does not call us from the womb...I think that He does call us to be People who follow Christ...who Love Peace, Justice and their Neighbours...

I am even not disputing that some callings might be very specific...and seeing someone at work in something that they truly love is one of the most beautiful sights....especially in light of the so many that go to work to go home...

My Struggle is this....when i have a calling to be this and that and you do too...what then is the calling of the beggar on the street.....what is the calling of the orphan...what is the calling of the homeless...what is the calling of the HIV- infected child...

Does it mean that they can not be called to be doctors and lawyers...to be government officials and nurses...solely because are greed kept them out...I have a hard time believing that their calling should be any less than ours...that their calling should be limited to work in a Maquiladora every day of their life...

Yes they too are to be called to love their neighbours as well and that is possible in all circumstances...I just struggle a lot with the fact that just because I was fortunate enough...I can fulfill my calling....(ps. dont worry I am still searching beyond the obvious point of loving peace...working for justice...and treating all with the love that Christ treated me) but they were not given the opportunity...

Please if anyone can bring clarity into my mind...please let me know...

No comments: