Thursday, November 13, 2008

Story Number 2: Marcos and Me

Before I came to the Philipines the general reaction of people was very postive. Whenever the topic came up, stories would come of friendly and helpful Filipinos they had met. And as most of you will know you dont have to visit Manila to meet some Filipinos. Other remarks pertained to the natural beauty of the Islands, Karaoke and other generally positive things.

Added to these remarks there was always one that was well lets say not overly positive - and most of the time said with a grin on the face. Imelda Marcos's Shoe collection. [Photo]

I have not yet had the opportunity to visit the museum that holds many of her shoes, but early on I did have the opportunity to go to Malacanang - the Presidential Palace. I have to say that I have never seen a Palace where you were allowed to touch, see and do whatever else so freely. And so it happened that I got to sit and have my picture taking on the chair from which President Ferdinand Marcos declared Martial Law in 1970's - and get this I don't know how it happened, but I was even smiling.[Photo]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just want you to know that in the business of my life, I find time to check how you are doing. Keep up the wonderful work brother...