Friday, January 2, 2009

December Part 1

Sorry for the long layoff in writing on the blog. As one who has always been opposed for “I was busy” as an excuse for anything longer than a week i’ll just say that I was taking in life and forgot. December came and went and although I am still quite tired at what is almost the end of my break, there have also been plenty reasons to be thankful.

Therefore here are December’s 10:

10)Happy new year to all of you...As I wrote to many already- I wish you all God’s blessings, strength, but above all his nearness in the upcoming years. For it is his nearness that gets us through harder times. It is his nearness that keeps us hopeful when we have a lack of answers to the pains and questions that trouble our hearts and minds. I hope that for all of you it may also be a year filled with unexpected turns and a return to childlike wonder at this amazing world. A return to the enjoyment of our babies we hold in our arms, the beauty of the nature around us and the magnificence of our bodies. And may 2009 be a year in which we once again see our Lord and saviour in the face of every person we meet, especially the ones that we are most likely to hate/dislike.

9) Before moving on to my personal experiences over the past month I want to ask for your prayers for the Middle East. I know it is not the region I am in right now and many of you might not here much about it besides all that is “wrong” with it. Having always been intrigued by the larger region and having studied specifically the Israel-Palestine situation the news of the past few days hurts me deeply.

Please pray for the Palestinian people in specifically. Because yes, Hamas is an active terrorist organization that few of us would feel at home with and sure I understand Israel’s response in wanting to protect its citizens. But my questions are these. Why is it only about Israel’s security? How many Palestinian citizens equal one Israeli? Do we even try to understand some of the anger that many Palestinians feel? Do we really think it came out of nowhere?

In the West bank, security controls, a wall, settlements, scarce access to water, destruction of their olive trees and other agricultural resources has left many Palestinians with very little hope on their side. Gaza, well one could argue it is even worse. Although, the settlements are now gone and there is no actual military presence there right now. Israel controls everything from who gets to enter the territory, to who gets to leave. To what gets to enter (food, medicine etc) to the electricity and energy supplies. Unemployment rates are sky high. Water is even scarcer. 1.5 million people on a small plot of land that in fact is as much occupied as it has ever been. I know Christians in the west historically support Israel blindly, but do some study on the history of the place. Try to see Palestinians as fellow children of our Lord. Try to look beyond your ideological presuppositions. And maybe just maybe you’ll be able to see a people who are suffering from injustice since the day they came out of the womb.

8)Work has been pretty good as we are planning ahead for the 2010 election there are many opportunities that come up regarding voter education and anti-corruption opportunities. I am enjoying the opportunity to learn more and more as time goes on. For January I am hoping to write some stories on Christians and churches that have come together and made a strong impact in the community. Also, on the schedule might be a follow-up trip to Bikol for the anti-corruption training.

7)For anyone who has been to the Philippines, they will know that anyone white is called Joe (thanks to Americans). Well I am fine with it for the most part as so much of it is in good spirit. However, lately for some odd reason I have been thinking about names I would give my children. I know for someone that is not married, doesn’t even have a girlfriend, who in any case would still need to discuss it and agree with an eventual life-partner, it seems like a rather uncommon practice. Either way I have already three girl names and one boy name, but also one boy’s name I really won’t choose...aka Joe.

6) For a week during the CHRISTmas holiday we went up North to the rice terraces which were absolutely gorgeous. For me it was a reminder that humanity can do good things with nature and that it does not always have to lead its abuse. Although the current tourist industry and construction in the area put that hopeful notion right back under scrutiny.


I hadnt downloaded my rice terraces pics yet so you all will have to do it with this for now:). Ps. More pics will be in part 2



1 comment:

Unknown said...

p.10 his nearness is to us our good. thanks so much for the reminder.p.9 would really love to talk more with you abt this some time. i don't think i know enough abt it to have a strong opinion. although i know that what palestinians go through at the hands of israel is anything but just. haha and LOL to ur comments on ur children's names. very funny. well, now i know that if God wills i'll be attending joe de ruijter's christening some day. take care and a very blessed new year filled only with his best for u.