Thursday, January 15, 2009

When you need to go real bad...

Since I am aware that my last post was rather heavy and I do not want to alienate my more light-hearted readers...I decided to follow it up with a funny story. I intend to have the blog be good mix of events and work-related stories, deeper reflections and more light-hearted stories.

So...okay here is the situation...from pretty early on in my time here I was fascinated by the amount of urinals all over the city. I know not really the thing most people would get fascinated about, but after having inspected the use over the first 4 months I have concluded that in general they are probably a welcome addition to the urban landscape. Because lets be real what is the alternative, men using the first tree, lamppost or wall in sight? It seems to me that it is better for it to all be collected at one spot, even though they leak and create quite the aroma around them.



My fascination though is not as much with the urinals and their wonderful colour, but more about their location. Now I don’t think I am the most self-conscious person, but I am well aware that the next time I am not being noticed, in some manner, when walking the street will be the first one. So naturally I would have to go... real...and I mean real bad... for me to take a leak in a semi-open urinal in the middle of a metropolitan area of over 15 million people. But, it gets even better...I took this picture from the web and it was the best I could find, but I think you will get the picture. On the right top you see something that resembles a staircase. Well guess what they actually are staircases. This particular one is a footbridge that will take you across EDSA – probably the busiest road in the Metro. I don’t know who came up with the great idea to place a public urinal right next to a footbridge that is used by hundreds of people every hour, but it seems to me there might be better locations. Now, I like I said I do not think I am the most self-conscious person around, but I can assure you that I would not be able to get a single drip to come out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

:) love you man

sannykay said...

Hey Jeff! I appreciate your transparency in the last three posts. You are a treasure and I am glad we had you for our 'son' for that short time in Toronto!